Thursday, January 17, 2013

The thrust to restore lost unity

"My flowers speak of nostalgia for a lost unity, for the detachment from the totally indistinct needed by the intelligence to exist, to individuate."

To merge, or not to merge;
that is the question:
Whether 'tis Nobler
in the mind to suffer
The Slings and Arrows
of Insensitive Critics,
Or to take arms against
the Sea of Rationality,
And by opposing drift away:
to die, to sleep in some lost Unity;
and by a sleep, to say we end
the heart-ache, and the thousand
natural shocks that art is heir to --
'Tis an Individuation
Devoutly to be wished...

2 comments:

  1. Alas, poor Yorick,
    I knew him well...
    His house was in the village though
    He could not see me stopping here
    To see him gravely filled with...
    SOOOooooooh... much to do.
    So little time.
    My queer little horse must think.
    And therefore am.

    Just sayin. Bruce PT

    ReplyDelete
  2. Had I but world enough and time
    I'd hope to answer you in rhyme
    But since I'm packing for a trip
    I'll only say there's been no slip
    'twix cup and lip; your poem's grand
    and what you now hear is one hand
    clapping! (t'other's busy...)

    ReplyDelete